The Lister Hospital, part of HCA Healthcare UK, has been rated outstanding by national regulators the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
The 61-bedded, 4 theatre hospital in Chelsea has an onsite intensive care unit and provides care across a range of specialities from outpatient treatment through to complex procedures and surgery.
The CQC found several examples of outstanding practice enabling the delivery of high quality patient-centred care, in particular in critical care and surgery. These included;
- Weekly multi-disciplinary meetings (MDM) on the wards bringing together experts involved in the care of patients to discuss the best way to continue with treatment. These are an example of best practice in complex healthcare and in addition to MDM’s, the CQC noted that the Lister also held specialist breast and skin multi-disciplinary team (MDT’s) meetings and would arrange other MDT’s depending on patient cases
- Innovative procedures including a non-invasive hip replacements and shoulder operations under local anaesthetics which allows for a faster recovery time. The Lister also works with leading experts in the field to offer specialist mesothelioma surgery
- The critical care unit is part of the North West London Critical Care Network and the Lister benchmarked quality standards of care and patient outcomes against other units in the network
- The hospital offered an ‘outstanding’ post ITU discharge service to provide patients with support for their continued physical and psychological well-being
- The hospital received a range of accreditations after being externally audited in the areas of: risk and safety leadership, fertility services and the operating theatres.
Across the hospital the CQC found a commitment to delivering individual patient-centred care with staff going the extra mile to ensure that patients felt involved in decision making. Teams would build relationships with patient relatives to understand more about their needs, inviting them to a lunch every Friday to talk through their loved one’s progress.
Patients reflected the CQC’s conclusions, with comments about the compassion and kindness of staff, the delivery of truly individualised patient-centred care and that processes in the hospital worked like a “well-oiled machine”.
The CQC also praised an “open and approachable culture” throughout the hospital promoted by a supportive leadership team.
“This outstanding rating from the CQC is testament to the dedication of the entire team at the Lister Hospital to putting patients at the heart of everything that we do.” said CEO of The Lister Hospital, Suzy Jones “From our approach to Multi-Disciplinary Team meetings, to offering innovative new procedures to ensuring that our staff get to know patients and understand their individual needs, I am proud that The Lister Hospital has been recognised as a centre for high quality healthcare.
“Learning how we can further improve and push our high standards even higher is very important to us. It is a priority to continue to build on this excellent result and act on the CQCs recommendations.”
This outstanding result comes just weeks after The Lister Hospital opened a new £12million outpatient and day case centre on Sydney Street. The facility, a partnership with Leaders in Oncology Care (LOC) also part of HCA Healthcare UK, provides state-of-the-art cancer care, treatment and diagnostics.